Saturday 27 August 2011

Piero Fornasetti


Piero Fornasetti (1913-1988) was a Milanese painter, sculptor, interior decorator, engraver of books and a creator of more than 11,000 products, many featuring the face of a woman, operatic soprano Lina Cavalieri, as a motif.
I first learned about Fornasetti design during my interior design education with Nanette Cameron. There was something facinating to me about his work, particularly the collection of over 500 plates, some would say I became a fanatic.
When I visited the Milan store last year I was like a kid in a candy store so to speak, I wanted to savour every minute of this rare opportunity and absorb as much of the experience as possible.
I began collecting Fornasetti plates in 2007, my first small plate was purchased in Sydney during an interior design tour, I was so excited to finally own a little piece of my favourite designer and from there I have built up a small grouping of 3 large and 2 small plates.
Fornasetti’s son, Barnaba, is perpetuating the Fornasetti tradition by continuing to produce, and revive, Fornasetti designs. At the helm of the company and its creative heart, Barnaba is the custodian of his father’s legacy. He continues to create new Fornasetti designs, renew hand-crafted production and works in collaboration with industries which manufacture Fornasetti products under license.
If you have a chance to visit Milan make sure you stop by this amazing store:
Spazio Fornasetti Corso G. Matteotti, 1/A 20121 Milan Italy





No comments:

Post a Comment